Born into a family of musicians, Urmila Nagar ranks as on of the foremost artists of India in the field of Kathak dance. She is the only artist of India who is outstanding dancer and reputed vocalist.
Her complete faith in and total dedication to this dance form, keenness to preserve its traditional heritage and effort to depict its devotional aspect has been highly praised. The audience is thrilled by her dazzling footwork, melodious voice and superb abhinaya. She is gifted with a golden voice which is a rarity among dancers. Aided by her command over music, she has developed a unique style of her own, presenting ,abhinaya, while singing Thumri, Bhajans etc., herself on the stage. She is hailed as a dancer with singing ghungharoos. Through her rich and varied experience she has devised performance in a systematic way beginning with prayers to almighty God, followed by items which are inter-woven in a regular sequence. This style devised by her is being imitated by present day dancers. Any form of dance without percussion support is extraordinary. It was she who visualized Kathak dance without Tabla support but without sacrificing its inherent charm. She has performed all over India in prestigious music conferences. She is a regular artist of All India Radio and has participated in number of music concerts organized by AIR and Sahitya Kala Parishad, Delhi.
She has choreographed and given music to number of choreographic dance compositions.
SIGNIFICANT POSITIONS HELD:
1 Director, for National Institute of Kathak Dance, New
Delhi Set which is the premier Institute set up by Government of
2. Senior most Guru of Kathak in Kathak Kendra, New Delhi
1. Sangeet Natak Akademi (Central), Award given by President of India
2. Rajasthan Sangeet Natak Akademi Award
3. Maharana Mewar Foundation Award
4. Jainarayan Vyas Award(for being best artist of Rajasthan in dance and music)
5. Raja Ram Mohan Roy Award
7. Sangeet Varidhi
T.V. ARTIST FOR NATIONAL TELEVISION IN INDIA
Top grade artist of T.V.
ARTIST FOR THE INDIAN COUNCIL FOR CULTURAL RELATIONS
Outstanding category artist on panel of Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR)
MUSIC RECORDINGS RELEASED BY LEADING INDIA LABELS:
MEMBERSHIP OF IMPORTANT INSTITUTIONS
1. Member Research Board of Advisers, American
Biographical Institute, USA
3. Ex-Member, Advisory Committee, Kathak Kendra,
4. Member Governing Body, North Central Zone Cultural Centre, Allahabad
5. Ex-member,Rajasthan Sangeet Natak Akademi
6. Ex-member, Jaipur Kathak Kendra, Jaipur